Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thank You. Gracias. Merci. Mahalo. Efcharisto. Grazie. Khop Khun Krab.

I was inspired by this guy... http://bottomlesslakes.blogspot.com/2013/04/long-overdue-thank-you-notes.html
to write my own Thank You post. It won't be as cool as his. His life is cooler. He has a cool wife and a cool kid and works for a cool company, lives in cool cities, etc.. He had a bum spit-yell on his face and Steve Buscemi knows his name. I can't compete with that. 
But, here are my own, less cool, Thank You Notes.

A Few People I have never properly Thanked:

Dear 9th Grade Cheerleading Coach,
Cheerleading was my life. (YES, I KNOW HOW THAT SOUNDS! AND I'M SORRY. Okay?) It was kind of a big deal in my life. Because I was on this amazing, trophy winning, nationally competing kind of team and I REALLy wanted to continue to cheer 
- but this time - 
in... 
HIGH SCHOOL. 
(yes, yes.. i hear how this sounds... and I hate myself for it). 
But I didn't make it. Close, but not quite. Thank you for pulling me out of class to inform me I was next on the list and SO close. Thank you for asking me to manage the gymnastics team.. because 4 years later I would LETTER in that. 
HOLLAAA! SHS Letter Jackets last forever... in my parents' attic. 
But the real reason I thank you is because NOT making it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I did other awesome things like Student Council and Principal's Advisory Board... and Drama Club and Choir and Improv and making my way into musicals and plays that was it's own accomplishment as a Freshman. 
(I have derailed - sorry to Andrew, who I know is mortified at the nerdery I am confessing to). 
Anyway, my point is... Door Closed, Window Opened... yadda yadda. Next year I made the team. It wasn't all that great or fun or life changing. Which is why I didn't try out my Junior and Senior year. I made some great friends through High School and a few life longers because I wasn't confined to one activity. So thanks for leaving my name off that list hanging on the High School door. Painful as it was to see. Toooooootally over it...

Dear Annie H-M,
I have never thanked you for introducing me to Vogue. I was moderately shocked and appalled by some of the ads at the age of 14, but I was in awe of your ability and DESIRE to read it cover to cover when I just wanted to look at the pretty and sometimes not-so-pretty pictures and when I would have rather been looking thru "17 Magazine". (I was not as mature a 14 year old as you, what can I say?..) Thanks for teaching me how to both spell and pronounce several famous designers. That is a skill that has come in handy over the years. 
I don't wear Gucci, Versace, Louboutin, Valentino, Dolce & Gabbana or Lacroix, 
but I can pronounce the crap out of them. 
And in that vein, THANK You for yelling at me after I said for the thousandth time, "Meeean Either!" and correcting me that it is in fact, "Me Neither". I could still be saying that incorrectly today.. 
And that makes me shudder.

Dear D-Bag who informed me that the sweet and innocent kiss we shared that one time led to great shame and sorrow and friend-intervention and confession because I was... Mormon! Your friends (some of whom I wrongfully assumed were my own. Silly Girl...) told your Pastor. You almost weren't going to go on your Summer Youth Trip! Because Summer Youth Trips are for those who do not kiss a girl going to Hell. Even though it was one week prior, it made the decision to call off going to Senior Prom with you pretty easy when you sat in front of me crying and wracked with pain of kissing the evil that was/is? Me. 
(The non-drinking Christian Girl who had a midnight curfew). OH THE HUMANITYYY! 
I can not imagine the guilt and devastation that would have ensued had you... *gulp.. held my hand as we walked across the dance floor). I am glad I didn't find out your true feelings or exactly what it meant to be "Southern Baptist Conservative" in North Carolina in 1999 AFTER Prom. 
That would have really marred the memory. 
And THANK YOU, Kerr Ramsey for being a good friend and going to Prom with me last minute. You were fun and kind and it was a good night. In a strange but cool twist, Kerr ended up dancing the last two songs with his ex-girlfriend who was there that night with the guy who would someday become my husband and the father of my boys and coincidentally, the guy I danced the last two songs with. I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out~ 
Thanks, D-Bag. I'm glad I didn't share this little Rite of Passage with You.

Dear Boy in 9th Grade Who Informed Me My Arms Were Way Too Hairy,
Thank You. You were right. They have now been black-hair-free since 1996. Sometimes a girl with Greek roots needs others to guide her in her body hair decisions. Even if it hurts. Thick, Greekish, Well Shaped Eye-Brows? Good. Thick, Greekish, Sasquatch Arm Hair? Not Good.

Dear Middle School Gym Teacher,
Thank You for yelling in front of the entire class,"Miss Hardison, Miss Krallis, this is NOT a Chorus Line!"  I am pretty sure we have you to thank for solidifying our best-friendship. 
You fueled our Jazz-Hand-Fire. And for that, I THaaaank Yoooooooouuuu! 
(Just sang that for you, Coach Morgan).

And finally,
Thank You Professor Bidwell, 
 for making me the Romantic Lead that one time. After High School, and even with a tiny theater scholarship to BYU-Hawaii, I was consistently cast as... The Mother. 
I didn't love it. 
But I get it. 
Generally, large boned girls do not a stage Ingenue make. And so, to finally be the lead in a cute, funny little show, was pretty awesome. Even if one of the lines was something like, 
"Well, you're not... that bad".
I don't care.. Fine, I was not a beautiful ingenue! But that one time, I was in fact The love interest. Thanks Bidwell. You made a dream come true.

5 comments:

annie said...

I strive to make the next thank you list. But for something legit, not for being a d-bag that changed your life because of my awfulness.

Sarah said...

I cannot imagine plays/ musicals at Sanderson without you... kind of glad you didn't make freshman cheer!

Catherine Plautz said...

Yes! Thank you for posting! This made my day. I love thank you notes!!! And I love that you danced with your hubbie-to-be at prom! That is the BEST story :)

James Best said...

These are pretty great. That prom story is epic. I thought Mormons were prudes but geez, sometimes I would be shocked at other churches. Did your friends call you Sin Lips then?

I had so many friends hand me "The Mormon Mistake" pamphlet. Hilarious.

Linda said...

your writing makes my smile every time!

Another FAV!!

Loading...